Monday, February 4, 2013

Day 4 Under-React to a Problem

{Although we think we act because of the way we feel, we often feel because of the way we act. Accordingly, one of my Twelve Personal Commandments is to “Act the way I want to feel.” 
Along these lines, I follow the resolution “Under-react to problems”: not to ignore or minimize problems, but just to under-react to them. 
By under-reacting to problems or annoyances, and acting in a serene way, I help myself cultivate a calm attitude. 
I’ve found that under-reacting to little household accidents makes them less irritating, because after all, they’re only as annoying as I allow them to be.  No use yelling over spilt nail polish.
Also, when my husband or children see that I’m reacting calmly, they stay calmer, too. It’s creates a much nicer atmosphere in our home—especially when something is going wrong.
Resolve to “Under-react to problems.” Your under-reaction will help make you feel calmer and more in control.}

Today was a Monday in all it's glory. When I got home from work everyone wanted my attention. It's registration time. I was getting Zac and Josh asking me what they should do. I really do want to be involved but not while I'm making dinner. I tried really hard to sort of ignore the stress I was feeling as both of them were asking me for help in making decisions that seem so important RIGHT NOW.

I did a pretty good job at under reacting to them but then when Hayden said he didn't like the dinner I way OVER-Reacted to him :( boo. I did apologize later but that was two times too late. I will try again tomorrow.


As far as getting an opportunity with Jeff and I, I didn't need it today, but I'll keep it in mind through the rest of this month and try to keep that goal :D

No comments: